Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Is there a problem with Utopia?

I have been called  an 'utopian' several times and I don't think that was meant to be a compliment. Utopia is associated with the ideal, with perfection, with the unrealistic, the inaccessible, but with what is GOOD. So, why wouldn't I reach for the GOOD?

Earlier today I was talking to a friend and she mentioned a heated discussion she had with another friend yesterday about overspending and consuming what we do not need. My friend was trying to be reflective and critical over how much we consume nowadays and how it seems to be turning into an addiction. She was called an 'utopian' for just raising some concerns about that. And, again, I don't think it was a compliment!

So, my question is: what is the problem with utopia? What is the problem with not simply accepting what is given, or the common place?

Utopia can motivate us to question what seems unquestionable! Utopia can move us to approach what seems impossible! Utopia makes us uncomfortable with the status quo! Isn't that GOOD? Isn't utopia a critical ingredient to transformation? To TRANSFORMACY?
      

2 comments:

  1. That's a very good question!

    I believe that if utopia does not become an integral part of Pharmacy, of our practice, and of our teaching, we will be stuck where we are as a profession right now, for the most part completely underutilized and disconnected from patient care. However, it is not all about our desires and dreams, it is also about our actions. It is a movement between thought and action. It is about praxis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a utopian. I’ve been called utopian few days ago and I am sure it wasn’t a compliment. Like you don’t fit, like there is something wrong with you and you should fix that. What they expect in the end is that you change your mind and say - well, actually I don’t mean that, it works in this old way too (even you know it doesn’t and it never will).
    We usually stay with are eyes closed waiting for some outer salivation. It’s easier – less responsibility and no bother with someone else pain. It’s also pleasant – I think I have every right to stay in this pleasant condition, don’t I? I have resources to stay in my little isolated world, so why you want to take that from me?
    And consequently the lie and ignorance is growing. Can you also see that in our practice?
    But what if that balloon breaks?
    There is, of course, other option - to stay with what we honestly believe in, because of ourselves, because I want to give peace to myself. That needs action – not just verbally expressing the truth, but also expressing it in every possible way.
    There is so much to share. Sharing gives much more satisfaction and fulfillment then staying behind in this so called “pleasantness” which leads to isolation.

    I agree with Djenane - it’s time for a jump!

    ReplyDelete